To set up team/group activities in Moodle you must first create groups in the course(s) in which you wish to use the functionality. To create a group follow the steps below:
- Upon entering the course click "Groups" under the "Course Administration/Users"
- Click "Create group" below the left column.
- Type the group name in the text box and a description. (You may also upload an image to represent the group.)
- Click "Save" to return to the Groups page.
- Click the group name in the left column, then select participants from the right column (use shift or ctrl for multiple selections).
- Click "Add" button to add the selected students to the selected group
Participants may be removed from a group by selecting the appropriate group to view members you would like to remove, clicking their name then the "Remove Selected Members" button.
Next you will need to set up the Course for groups.
The group mode can be one of three settings:
- "No groups"
There are no sub groups, everyone is part of one big community
- "Separate groups"
Each group can see only their group and activity by their group, others are invisible.
- "Visible groups"
Each group works in their own group, and can also see other groups activities but they are "read only".
The group mode can be defined at two levels:
The group mode defined at the course level is the default mode for all activities defined within a course. This is determined in the settings for the course.
Each activity that supports groups can also have its group mode defined. This is determined in the settings for an individual activity. If the course setting "Force group mode" is set to "Yes" then the option to define the group mode for individual activities is not available.
Once settings are defined at the corresponding levels the groups and their participants should be able to access activities within the course(s) accordingly.